Example of a problem in English class...
My problem was reading. As I lived in Michigan where there is a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait four hours," I was always getting sick. I would get many ear infections. As a result as a kid in early elementary, I could not hear. Since I could not hear anything, while the teacher was teaching us phonics, I did not know what she was saying. I thus had no clue to as the sounds that Ms. Johnson, my teacher was making. When it was time to read, I could not make the sounds of the words. Ms. Johnson recognized the problem that I was having and told my parents. My parents finally took me to the doctor who said that since I had had so many ear infections, my hearing was blocked. The doctor highly suggested that I have "tubes" put in my ears. As a result I returned to school, now second grade with Mrs. Burke, but I was very far behind the rest of the class in reading. My Dad now blamed the teacher, and for third grade sent to the St. Thomas, a Catholic grade school. Gradually, I became a better reader but never studied phonics until my son learned Zoo Phonics.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home